Seattle Tilth has received approval to hire an AmeriCorps member through the Washington Service Corps from January through July of 2016. Member will be working full-time with Just Garden, and in return will receive a stipend and an education award upon successful completion of service. Also provided: health coverage, childcare assistance, and pertinent training. Applications are open for college graduates under 25 years of age. Access to a car is a plus.
- Conduct outreach to 20+ organizations who serve low income populations in Federal Way, Burien, & Bellevue.
- Conduct a survey of each recipient of the 187 garden builds by Just Garden since 2010 to determine program impacts & rate of retention.
- Plan & execute seasonal gatherings of Just Gardeners, to include solicitation of donations for giveaway (seeds, compost, burlap, etc.), finding a venue & outreach to Just Garden participants.
- Recruit & retain 20 “super-volunteers” who will attend all four of our garden building events & act as the core leadership for the organization going forward.
- Conduct site visits to the homes of potential gardeners, ensuring the site is appropriate for a garden & assisting the gardener with agreements & in-processing paperwork.
- Coordinate with Just Garden Program Manager & Seattle Tilth staff in conducting hands-on organic gardening workshops for Just Garden program participants & in the planning and execution of four large garden-building events in 2016.
If you are interested, you can find the application here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=51005&fromSearch=true.
Also, we’re starting to actively recruit volunteers for our February 27th build in Southeast Seattle. To sign up, please head over here: http://www.seattletilth.org/justgarden/. Scroll down to the appropriate volunteer job and click “sign up.”
Meaningful Movies of Renton and CryOut! present
Cracking the Codes
WHEN: December 11th @ 6:30 p.m.
WHERE: Carco Theater
1717 SE Maple Valley Highway
Renton, WA 98057
Click to view the flyer: cracking the codes flyer
THIS EVENT IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
DONATIONS ARE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED.
FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE
Funding is available at the City of Seattle for outreach and engagement and training dollars.
Click the link to find out more.
Prioirty Hire Construction Training and Outreach Funds Request for Proposal
As part of our design work on Skyway Park, we worked with local artist Fin’es Scott (http://www.finesscott.com/) to create a fun, playful art scheme for a new park entrance on 72nd Ave S. We are hopeful that the road vacation process will be completed next year, clearing the way for improvements and art projects like this one. The poster of this design (see link below) will be on display at a UW event next week. Enjoy!
Skyway Solutions Monster Town
Looking for practical ways to get involved in reinvigorating Skyway Park? Look no further! Here are two ways to get involved, and they both happen next week:
1) Thursday, November 12 at 6:30pm: Come to the Skyway Water & Sewer building for our steering committee. We will break into working groups, and the Skyway Park Group will create next steps that our community needs to take to get some projects going in the park.
2) Saturday, November 14th at 10am: Come to Skyway Park for a volunteer work party with fellow neighbors and King County. See this link for more information: http://buildskywaywesthill.org/event/volunteer-event-information-skyway-park/
For more information, contact Jared Burwell at: email@example.com
Remember, 2 easy ways to get involved!
Skyway West Hill Community,
Over the last year, this community has worked on completing the Skyway West Hill Action Plan. The new revised plan has the implementation matrix that will allow this community to leverage public and private resources and drive policy decisions related to growth for this community.
1. Send your feedback and comments by email
. The feedback we receive will be used to finalize the plan. The revised SWAP will be submitted to King County on November 3, 2015
2. Support the SWAP
b. If you are part of an organization, business, or faith based group; please write a letter of support and send by email
3. Attend the SWAP Steering Committee on Thursday, November 12th from 6:30 pm-8:30 pm. We will convene the working groups for SWAP Advocacy, Skyway Park, and Neighborhood School Initiative.
Thank you for staying engaged and helping us create a plan for this community by this community!
Skyway Solutions Team
Please see the attached meeting notes from the steering committee meeting on October 6th!
Thank you to everyone who was in attendance!
10.6.15 SWAP SC Meeting notes
WHEN: 11/14/15 10am-2pm
WHERE: Skyway Park
Click the link to learn more 11.14.15 Volunteer Event Information Skyway Park
If interested, please contact:
Lina Rose, King County Parks Volunteer Coordinator
We invite your participation to help identify:
• Suggested routes for walking and biking to school
• How to improve safe school access for all children
• Ways to encourage more children to walk, bike or carpool
Where: Dimmitt Middle School 12320 80th Ave S Seattle, WA 98178
When: Wednesday, October 7th 7:00 – 8:30 a.m.
See flyer for more details. Dimmitt Middle School SRTS Audit