Seattle Tilth has received approval to hire an AmeriCorps member through the Washington Service Corps from January through July of 2016. Member will be working full-time with Just Garden, and in return will receive a stipend and an education award upon successful completion of service. Also provided: health coverage, childcare assistance, and pertinent training. Applications are open for college graduates under 25 years of age. Access to a car is a plus.
- Conduct outreach to 20+ organizations who serve low income populations in Federal Way, Burien, & Bellevue.
- Conduct a survey of each recipient of the 187 garden builds by Just Garden since 2010 to determine program impacts & rate of retention.
- Plan & execute seasonal gatherings of Just Gardeners, to include solicitation of donations for giveaway (seeds, compost, burlap, etc.), finding a venue & outreach to Just Garden participants.
- Recruit & retain 20 “super-volunteers” who will attend all four of our garden building events & act as the core leadership for the organization going forward.
- Conduct site visits to the homes of potential gardeners, ensuring the site is appropriate for a garden & assisting the gardener with agreements & in-processing paperwork.
- Coordinate with Just Garden Program Manager & Seattle Tilth staff in conducting hands-on organic gardening workshops for Just Garden program participants & in the planning and execution of four large garden-building events in 2016.
If you are interested, you can find the application here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=51005&fromSearch=true.
Also, we’re starting to actively recruit volunteers for our February 27th build in Southeast Seattle. To sign up, please head over here: http://www.seattletilth.org/justgarden/. Scroll down to the appropriate volunteer job and click “sign up.”